George C. Nichols, by Mark Landry

George C. Nichols was born on August 10, 1941 in Westminster to Edmund and Mary (Derby) Nichols. He lived in Westminster and enlisted September 27, 1861 in Fitchburg to Captain Charles H. Foss for 3 years service on the quota of the town of Westminster. He was 20 years old. He was mustered into service on October 7 in Worcester by Captain Goodhue as Private of Company F, 25th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment of Volunteers. He was engaged in battle at Roanoke Island, Newbern, N.C. and all the battles of the Army of the James. On August 12, 1862, Georges was sent to the hospital in Beufort, N.C. On October 3, 1862, he returned from the hospital. He is sick in quarters during the following dates: January 14-16, February 13-16, May, 25-26, August 10-21, August 31-September 8, September 24-29, November 13-14, November 30-December 1-4, December 26-29, 1863, February 8-10, April 3, 1864.

He was discharged on January 17, 1864 as private by W. L. Kent at Newport News, VA.

He re-enlisted January 18, 1864 as a Veteran Volunteer at Newport News, VA by Lieut. Charles H. Pelton for 3 more years service and recieved $13 in advanced pay. He was captured by the enemy during the siege of Petersburg, VA on May 16, 1864 near Drury's Bluff and suffered 7 months at Libby, Andersonville and Charleston Prisons where he contracted diseases of which he eventually died. He was exchanged for enemy prisoners on December 23,1864 at Annapolis, MD. He was last paid by Major Crane on January 17, 1864 and was paid $60 in bounty but was still owed $340. He was mustered out of the service on June 17, 1865.

He was the younger brother of Frederic D., Francis and Lyman Nichols, three out of 11 children in the family who served with the 15th Massachusetts. They all survived the war. George was listed as being a mechanic and a farmer, and he remained unmarried. He is included on the Soldiers' Monument in the center of Westminster. At the time of his enlistment, he was 5ft. 7in. tall with a light complexion, dark blue eyes and brown hair. When he re-enlisted he was 5ft. 8in. tall with a dark complexion, blue eyes and brown hair.

He died May 5, 1867 of disease at the age of 25 years, 8 months and 5 days in Westminster of Phthisis. He is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Westminster.