from The Worcester Spy, 15 July 1863 (Volume 92 #28),

The recovery of Col. Ward, from the battle field, after he was shot, and the transmission of his body to Worcester, are due to the indomitable energy and resolution of his brother Henry, of the 15th regiment. Many of the Colonels and leading officers who fell were buried on the field. We are permitted to print the following extracts of a private letter from Henry Ward, giving a statement of the circumstances attending Col. Ward’s death:---

Westminster, Md. July 4, 1863
I suppose you have heard the sad, sad fate of George, ere this. His body is now on the way home. I got him away as soon as I could under the circumstances. He was wounded in the leg by a Minie ball, on Thursday, about six o’clock P.M. The artery was severed and he bled to death.

He fought well. He had sent his horse to the rear, and I felt then, that, if we should be obliged to retreat, it would be all up with him. He was wounded while fighting at the head of his brigade. The fight continued for five hours, and during the confusion we were unable to find him for two hours. I searched all over the battle field, amid shells and balls, hunting for him. We got him to a hospital about dark. He was insensible , but the surgeon gave him whiskey, which revived him; and he said to the doctor, “I shall not live two hours.” After this his mind was wandering, and he imagined himself at the head of his brigade, commanding troops and urging them to fight bravely. He died next morning at daylight. He was in command of the brigade, and went into the fight cheerfully. I have traveled all around for two days, trying to get a team to get his body to Westminster, the nearest depot, thirty miles distant; but every team is at work with the wounded, and no one will touch the dead.

A great many generals and colonels have been buried on the field, for want of conveyances. I have worked night and day, bound to see his body go home. I have not eaten a morsel of food since yesterday morning, and I am so feverish that I can hardly write this letter, and should not, but I know how anxious you will all feel. I have received no letters for three weeks, our army being on the move, so that we could not get them. Twice our mail has been captured by the rebels. Therefore, that you may get this letter safely, I have traveled to within ten miles of Baltimore to mail it.

Thousands and thousands have been killed and wounded on both sides. It has been the most terrible fighting I ever saw. People at home can not realize it. I escaped safely, thank God; though I came very near loosing a leg. Our officers have suffered greatly, there being only two or three left of the 15th, and about 60 men, of those who went into battle, I think everything was done for George that could be done. George did his duty nobly and bravely, and never shrunk from danger.